Registration is CLOSED. Contact Tiffanie if you are interested in attending as a Walk-In email@example.com
IMH Statewide Training
Trauma and Preschool-aged Children: Implications for Early Childhood Mental Health and Early Childhood Education
This presentation will address trauma and its impact on children three to five years of age. The research on the developmental and mental health consequences of trauma on preschool aged children will be reviewed, with a particular focus on trauma and its relation to behavior problems. Using a prevention framework, interventions that promote more positive outcomes for trauma-affected children will be explored, with an emphasis on integrating early childhood mental health and early childhood education approaches. The session will end with an exploration of self-care strategies for practitioners experiencing the secondary traumatic stress that emanates from working with this population.
Brenda Jones Harden, PhD is the Alison Richman Professor for Children & Families, at the University of Maryland Baltimore School of Social Work. She directs the Prevention and Early Adversity Research Laboratory, where she and her research team examine the developmental and mental health needs of young children at environmental risk, particularly those who have been maltreated or have experienced other forms of trauma. A particular focus is preventing maladaptive outcomes in these populations through early childhood programs. She has conducted numerous evaluations of such programs, including early care and education, home visiting services, parenting interventions, and infant mental health programs. Dr. Jones Harden is a scientist-practitioner who uses research to improve the quality and effectiveness of child and family services and to inform child and family policy.
Date: Thursday, September 19, 2019
Time: 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Registration begins at: 8:30 AM
This training is co-sponsored by MDHHS, MI-AIMH and the IMH Statewide Committee.
Statewide meetings include breakfast and lunch, important news and updates from MDHHS and MI-AIMH, a resource table, and a networking opportunity.
Location: The Mtg Space, 4039 LegacyParkway, Ste 200, Lansing, MI 48911
Without the very generous and ongoing support from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services this incredible training opportunity would not be possible.
Continuing Education Information: 5.5 Clock Hours for –
Social Work – Approved for 5.5 Michigan SW CEU’s
IMH Endorsement® – Will count towards the requirements for the MI-AIMH Endorsement®
Licensed Professional Counselors – NBCC Hours – Michigan Association for Infant Mental Health (MI-AIMH) has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No.6867. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. MI-AIMH is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- Participants will have increased knowledge about the epidemiology of early childhood trauma, and the developmental and mental health consequences for affected children.
- Participants will have increased knowledge about evidence-based interventions to prevent maltreatment of preschool-aged children and to promote their well-being.
- Participants will have increased knowledge about integrating early childhood mental health and early childhood education strategies to promote resilience in young children affected by trauma.
- Participants will have increased knowledge of self-care strategies that can reduce the secondary traumatic stress that may result from working with trauma-affected young children and families.
Attachment, Separation, Trauma, Grief & Loss
Relationship-focused Therapeutic Practice
Infant/Young Child Development & Behavior
Family Relationships and Dynamics
Observation and Listening
Registration Information –
Registration Fees: Non-Members – $80.00 | MI-AIMH Members – $65.00 | Current Students – $35.00
Additional $10 for Social Work/Professional Counselor Continuing Education
Registration fees include breakfast and lunch, important news and updates from MDHHS and MI-AIMH and a networking opportunity.
- To receive the MI-AIMH member registration rate, you will be asked to provide your MI-AIMH membership ID when you register. Your membership ID can be found on your My MI-AIMH profile.
- If you are NOT a current MI-AIMH member, but would like to become one and receive the reduced rate for training costs – please click here to get started: MI-AIMH membership
- If you need continuing education as a Licensed Social Worker or Licensed Professional Counselor, you will be required to enter your license # during the registration process – have it handy.
Last Day to Register – Monday, September 9, 2019
This training is limited to 200 seats. Registration is first come, first serve.
Cancellation policy: Notice of cancellation must be submitted in writing no later than 7 days prior to the event for a refund to be issued. Send notice to firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Agency checks should be made payable to MI-AIMH. Please indicate the names of all staff attending the training and the name of the training.
Mail checks to: MI-AIMH, ATTN: Tiffanie Martinez, 13101 Allen Road, Southgate, MI 48195
For registration questions, contact Tiffanie Martinez at: email@example.com or 734-785-7705, Ext. 7617
Hotel Room Information:
There is a hotel room block available for those needing to stay overnight. There are many hotels in the Lansing area to choose from. We have secured a room block at The Candlewood Suites, 3545 Forest Road * Lansing, MI * 48910 * (517) 351-8181. September dates held are September 18th and October 19th – Studio – $89/night and 1-Bedroom – $125/night.
Here are the instructions for making a reservation within our room block:
- Online at www.cwsuites.com and entering “IMH” in the “Group Code” field. Once you click check availability, the preferred rates will populate.
- Or you can call the front desk at 517-351-8181 and letting them know your group code is “AIM”
- There is a limited number of rooms saved within this block and available on a first come first serve basis
- Rooms that are not used within our block will be released by 9/4/19
- If you have any issues with making your reservation, please contact the hotel directly