When applying for and renewing Endorsement®, each applicant must sign and agree to the Infant and Early Childhood Mental Health Code of Ethics.
The MI-AIMH Endorsement for Culturally Sensitive, Relationship-focused Practice Promoting Infant and Early Childhood Mental Health® (IECMH-E®) is intended to recognize experiences that lead to competency in the infant, early childhood and family field. It does not replace licensure or certification but instead is meant as an evidence of a specialization in this field. The MI-AIMH Endorsement® is cross-sector and multidisciplinary including professionals from psychology, education, social work, psychiatry, child and/or human development, nursing, and others. Endorsement® indicates an individual’s efforts to specialize in the promotion/practice of infant and early childhood mental health within his/her own chosen discipline. Each endorsed professional is bound by his/her own discipline’s ethical standards, as well of those defined here.
Value: Importance of Relationships
- A MI-AIMH endorsed professional understands the importance of relationship, the primary instrument for growth and change
- A MI-AIMH endorsed professional uses knowledge and skills promote, support, restore and sustain nurturing relationships for all infants, young children, and families
- A MI-AIMH endorsed professional works to establish strong, collaborative relationships with community professionals to enhance services to all infants, young children, and families
- A MI-AIMH endorsed professional understands the importance of past relationship experiences to the development of current relationships
Value: Respect for Ethnicity, Culture, Individuality and Diversity
- A MI-AIMH endorsed professional understands and respects the uniqueness of each individual with respect for ethnicity, culture, individuality, and diversity in all aspects of infant, early childhood, and family practice
- A MI-AIMH endorsed professional works in ways that are ethical, trustworthy, honest, responsible and reliable
- A MI-AIMH endorsed professional abides by the ethical standards of the agency or place of work and is guided by the legal and practice standards in human services, as well as those of his/her discipline
Value: Knowledge and Skill Building
- A MI-AIMH endorsed professional works continuously to acquire new knowledge and skills to enhance the understanding and application of IECMH principles
Value: Reflective Practice
- A MI-AIMH endorsed professional seeks out and uses supervision and consultation, as appropriate, to reflect on professional development and personal growth related to work with or on behalf of infants, young children, and families
I commit to upholding these values in my professional work with or on behalf of infants, young children, and their families.